It's time for Carl's R.I.P. Challenge VI. One of the novels he is doing a group read for is Jim Butcher's "Storm Front". It is a novel I have read, and enjoyed, before. I liked it enough that I wanted to participate so I am re-reading it.
Following the page break are my answers to the first set of questions.
1. What are your first impressions of our main character, Harry Dresden?
I could not help but draw comparisons between Harry Dresden and Harry Potter. I have not read any of the Potter books but have watched the movies. Eventually, I plan on reading J. K. Rowling’s series.
Some of the similarities:
1. Dresden and Potter are both wizards.
2. Both interact with the modern world. The main difference here is that Potter spends a lot of time at Hogwarts while Dresden is in the city.
3. Both are facing an evil force that they do not understand.
4. Both are involved with a council that watches over the wizards.
5. Both characters will do what they feel is necessary whether or not they are obeying the rules.
Does this mean that one is a copy of the other? Definitely not. The Dresden Files features the journey of an adult wizard while Potter focuses on the heroes journey from youth through adulthood.
The other character who bears some similarity to Dresden is Marvel Comics’ Dr. Strange. The main similarity is the city dweller who solves magical mysteries and battles evil.
The storytelling and atmosphere is reminiscent of the writing of Roger Zelazny. This is high praise as not many authors can successfully combine the fantastic with the noir storytelling style. It puts Butcher in the running for my favorite current fantasy writer.
Harry is a classic character who will be fun to follow as the series progresses. I look forward to reading all of the Dresden Files.
2. In the first section of the book we are introduced to a large cast of characters. Some in support of our main character and others who are involved in the multiple investigations with agendas unknown to us. Are there any of these characters who stood out to you?
The White Council is the one that intrigues me the most. I thought all of the characters were interesting but I want to learn more about the Council.
3. Did you ever watch the Syfy channel’s Dresden Files TV adaption? If so did it effect how you approached the novel? Were there positive and/or negative differences that stood out to you?
I watched one of the episodes but it was not enough to keep me interested. At some point I will probably watch the rest.
4. Any thoughts on Jim Butcher’s magic system, Harry’s Watcher, and/or the White Council?
I like a magic system where the character has to work. In too many novels, anyone can do magic with no consequences.
5.Lastly, any guess on where Dresden’s multiple plot threads will lead and/or any favorite scenes in the first section of the book?
The Bianca/Harry confrontation has to be a favorite. Butcher keeps the reader on the edge of his seat during this scene. I can’t wait to see how it continues.