Friday, February 22, 2013

Science Fiction the 101 Best Novels 1985-2010 by Damien Broderick & Paul Di Flippo

Title:  Science Fiction the 101 Best Novels 1985-2010
Authors:  Damien Broderick & Paul Di Flippo
First Publication:  2012
Cover Artist:  Luis Ortiz

From Amazon:
Inspired by David Pringle's landmark 1985 work Science Fiction: The 100 Best Novels, this volume supplements the earlier selection with the present authors' choices for the best English-language science fiction novels during the past quarter century. Employing a critical slant, the book provides a discussion of the novels and the writers in the context of popular literature. Moreover, each entry features a cover image of the novel, a plot synopsis, and a mini review, making it an ideal go-to guide for anyone wanting to become reacquainted with an old favorite or to discover a previously unknown treasure. With a foreword by David Pringle, this invaluable reference is sure to provoke conversation and debates among sci-fi fans and devotees.

Next to reading fiction stories, reading reviews has always been a passion of mine.  When I get a new issue of a magazine, the first section I turn to is the book review column.  So when I saw the title of this book, I could not resist.

The authors do a great job of assembling the list and writing 5-6 page reviews for each book.  Sometimes the reviews are longer.

The downside for me is that I was introduced to various novels I never read but the review made them sound so good that I bought many of them on the spot.  The Kindle Fire can be dangerous at times.  It is so easy to click on the title and have it download.  It basically puts me in a bookstore 24-7.

Some of the titles I bought (because of their reviews) are:

Soldiers of Paradise by Paul Park
Grass by Sherri Tepper
This is the Way the World Ends by James Morrow

I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys lists and reviews.

No comments: