Sunday, January 25, 2009

New Additions to the Reading Stack

Yesterday I went to the local (35 miles away) Barnes and Noble. I had some birthday money in my wallet so that meant I was filling in some holes in my collection. The following books won out.

Old Man's War by John Scalzi
The Last Colony by John Scalzi
Space Vulture by Gary Wolfe and Archbishop John J. Myers
The Moon Pool by A. Merritt
Last Train to Rigel by Timothy Zahn
Vacuum Diagrams by Stephen Baxter


Scalzi is on my list of authors I want to read in 2009. I previously picked up The Ghost Brigade. This is a series I am really looking forward to reading.

From the reviews I have read, Space Vulture sounds like a good old fashioned Planet Stories type tale. It should be fun.

The Moon Pool is by a classic author. I like reading some of the older stories to see where the genre got it's start.

Last Train to Rigel seems to combine 2 of my favorite genres. The first is the classic film noir stories embodied by Bogie in the black and white films. The second is, of course, science fiction. If this one is good, I will look for the follow up novel(The Third Lynx).

Stephen Baxter is another author I have never read. It sounds like this collection is a good overview of his main series.

1 comment:

Carl V. Anderson said...

Cool to see Scalzi added to your possessions! I'm such a big fan. I tell everyone this, and you will be no exception: after you get through with Ghost Brigades, and before you read Last Colony, check out The Sagan Diary. You can find it free online and it is a really nice novella that I think adds something to the relationships of the characters as you head into The Last Colony.

I thought Space Vultures sounded really fun when I saw it in the bookstore the other day.