Sunday, February 8, 2009

Night Train to Rigel by Timothy Zahn


From the back cover...
It begins when a man delivers a message for former government agent Frank Compton-only to fall dead at his feet. The message is a summons from the Spiders, the exotic and mysterious creatures who run the Quadrail, an incredible transportation system connecting civilizations across the galaxy. The Spiders believe that someone or something is preparing to attack their entire network and the worlds it serves, by smuggling battleships through the Quadrail-something that should be impossible to do. Compton, with the aid of a beautiful but enigmatic agent of the Spiders, is their last hope.
Because nobody else has been able to find the elusive enemy who seeks to enslave the entire galaxy...and Earth is its next target.

Night Train to Rigel has all the elements of a very good novel. The Spiders are very interesting. The Quadrail is an intriguing transportation system. The mystery of the unknown enemy who threatens the galaxy. And their secret is handled very well. One of the genres that I enjoy is the Bogart type of film noir. This is best when done by Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett. This should be the perfect combination for me to read.

Zahn does not hold my interest with this novel. I kept reading for the ideas but the story did not keep me on the edge of my seat. So for the ideas and concepts, Zahn gets a high rating. For the story, a low rating. Because I like the concept behind the story, I will read the next novel. If it does not hold my interest any better than this one, it will be the last I will read in this series.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments: