Monday, October 31, 2011

Shambling Towards Hiroshima by James Morrow

Shambling Towards HiroshimaShambling Towards Hiroshima by James K. Morrow

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


In an alternate world, the Americans' work on a project to create biological weapons to end World War II. The creatures are living versions of Godzilla who will be released near enemy cities to invade and destroy without the loss of American troops. A Japanese delegation is coming for a demonstration and that is when things go wrong. An actor is approached about starring as one of the creatures in the demonstration. This is his story.

When I read about this book, it sounded like a fascinating short novel. Unfortunately I found the story to be lackluster. The best part of the book is the basic concept. The execution left something to be desired. While Morrow shows that he can write, it seems like he did not put much effort into the characters. Most of the characters are sterotypes who do nothing to change my opinion of them.

The worst part of the book, in my opinion, was the ending. Morrow uses most of the end of the book to get on his soapbox and preach about the evils of war. Based on the glimpses I saw in this book, and what I have heard from others, Morrow could has been more subtle with his approach. If he had made the same arguments appear as a natural part of the story, it would have made a better ending.

I will give Morrow another try at a later date.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

Carl V. Anderson said...

I am sorry to hear that the book didn't match up to the concept, which I thought sounded very interesting when I first heard about it. I actually bought this book when it first came out and then ended up selling it in a big book clearing out clean that I did because once I had it I just couldn't muster up the interest to actually read it. Sounds like it is a good thing I didn't. I don't mind a little "war is bad" message when done cleverly and not heavy handed, but I don't need to be preached to by the books I read.