Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Beyond the Wall

Editor:  James Lowder

First Publication:  June, 2012

Source:  Netgalley

Publisher:  Smart Pop

Exploring George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire

Next to reading science fiction and fantasy fiction, I enjoy reading all types of non-fiction about the field.  In my teen years the first thing I read in the genre magazines was the book review columns.  Now I do not have to wait for the monthly magazines.  Between blogs and the numerous non-fiction books being published, my to be read list is growing faster than ever.

Editor James Lowder has put together a great collection of articles about Martin's wildly successful "A Song of Ice and Fire".  R. A. Salvatore starts the book off with a perfect forward for this edition.  One of the articles that caught my attention was Myke Cole's commentary on post traumatic stress in the series.  As a reader I did not stop to think about this syndrome.  I know the next time I read the series I will be keeping Cole's article in mind.  That is the sign of great non-fiction writing when the author shows you something you missed in a series.  

Highly recommended.

I read this as part of the "Once Upon a Time VIII" challenge.



No comments: