Tuesday, October 7, 2014

R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril IX

Fall is my personal favorite season of the year.  In our area we celebrate with a Fall Foliage Festival the first two weekends in October.  The mountains are filled with various colored leaves on the trees.  The ones I like most are the red and orange leaves.  The thing I enjoy most about the festival is the food.  Apple cider made on the spot, home-made apple dumplings, maple syrup, funnel cakes, and other local favorites make me hungry just by thinking about them.

Local high school football is back in action with the start of the new school year.  In small rural Pennsylvania towns this is almost like a community event on the night of home games.  People you don’t see very often during the rest of the year regularly show up for the games.  And it is a generational sport.  Many of the players are the children of people I went to school with.  It gives our town a reason to come together and enjoy spending time at a social event.

The other big event of the fall is Carl (of Stainless Steel Droppings fame)’s annual hosting of the R.I.P. challenges from September 1 through October 31!  Congratulations for hosting this for the ninth year in a row.  What is the challenge?  A reading and viewing event for all things that fall in the following categories:  mystery, suspense, thrillers, dark fantasy, gothic tales, horror, supernatural or others with the same moody atmosphere. 

This year I am planning on participating in the following Perils:

Peril the Second:  read two books

Peril of the Short Story:  I am thinking about reading one of Isaac Asimov’s “Black Widowers” collections.

Peril of the Screen:  I am starting with an episode of Doctor Who with other shows to follow.

I also plan on reviewing some graphic novels/collections that fit the guidelines.

No comments: