Sunday, November 16, 2014

"Merlin's Gun" by Alastair Reynolds

First Publication:  Asimov's Science Fiction, May 2000

Cover Artist:  Mark Garlick

After I read this story, I discovered that two other stories take place before it.  "Merlin's Gun" is the last (to date) story in the short fiction series "Merlin".

I previously read one novel ("Revelation Space") and two short stories ("Scales" and "Great Wall of Mars") by Reynolds.  All three provided me with an enjoyable reading experience.


  1. In this story, Reynolds revisits the classic "weapon that can destroy the universe" theme that has appeared in numerous science fiction stories.  He develops some interesting twists on the idea.  Reynolds does a good job with the two main characters but the story fell short for me.  This is a case where I wish he had fleshed it out into a novella.  I was disappointed not to find out more at the end.
A decent story but not up to the level of his other work.

1 comment:

Carl V. Anderson said...

The only novel I've read of Reynolds is Chasm City. It remains one of my favorites and on the strength of it I have bought and keep buying Reynolds' books although I haven't gotten around to reading them. I too have read a handful of short stories and enjoyed them.